Updated: Nov 4, 2020
Moving is stressful. Working with a realtor shouldn’t be. But industry experts say that choosing the wrong agent is the primary reason homes sit for months on the market and sell for well under the listing price.
Choosing a qualified realtor is essential for a successful home sale. With that in mind, we’ve rounded up the top ten questions you should ask agents in order to determine the best one for the job.
10 Interview Questions For Your Real Estate Agent
1. How long have you been a full-time licensed real estate agent?
We believe that to get the best bang for your buck, they should have at least 10 years of experience.
2. How many home buyers are you currently working with?
We recommend a minimum of eight buyers.
3. What is your exact list price to sales price ratio, and can you show me that in writing?
You’ll want this number to be around 99.1% of the asking price – minimum.
4. Do you have a performance guarantee with a penalty to the agent if not met?
Before you enter into a listing agreement with an agent making big promises, make sure that you have the right to back out of an agreement if your agent isn’t performing to your expectations – without the burden of big cancellation fees.
5. How many times have you completed a Best Bidder home sale or a Mega Open House? What is the average number of buyers that attend?
Agents should see a minimum of 40 buyers in 2 days – and they should be able to prove this.
6. What marketing do you outsource and what services do you utilize for massive marketing campaigns? What can you do to sell my home that I can’t do on my own?
Many agents today do nothing more than take a few photos, put a sign in the yard, list properties on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS), and then wait for calls from prospective buyers. But because you can do that yourself, it’s important to expect more aggressive marketing from a realtor you’re paying.
7. In the past 24 hours, how many advertisements have you run on Craigslist, Marketplace, Facebook Lead Ads and/or other social media marketing sites? May I see them?
If you’re going to pay fees to a realtor, do everything you can to determine you’re paying a full-service marketing professional.
8. Do you research and promote a “List of Unlisted Homes?” If so, how many qualified buyers can you present my home to the evening before we hit the active market?
Well-connected agents with access to a list of for-sale homes that aren’t listed on the MLS may help you test the waters and land a better offer.
9. Do you update your clients on the sale of their home at the same day and time every week? If so, when?
You want to ensure that you work with a professional who communicates clearly and consistently.
10. What empirical data do you have to justify the recommended price?
Strategic pricing matters. Take our word for it. (link to pricing blog)
We hope this helps you make an informed decision about choosing a realtor to trust with your home sale!
Brecken & Oaks is a team of true marketing professionals with real estate licenses. With our toolbox of powerful marketing strategies, we sell homes quickly and for the highest amount of net profit – and with little hassle, too. Let’s bring you home! (link to marketing strategies blog)